REPORT OF THE TNNLS DEBATE COMMITTEE FORTHE YEAR 2017–18
I. Background – Reconstitution of the TNNLS Debate Committee
Of the several clubs and committees in the TNNLS, the Debate Committee (DC) is the student representative body which, under the guidance of its Faculty Advisor Mr. S. Mohammed Azaad, Assistant Professor of Law is entrusted with the responsibility of administering activities related to debating and public speaking at TNNLS. The activities include conducting workshops, organization of Inter-Varsity and Intra-University Debate Tournaments and other such events which help the students at TNNLS to hone their argumentation and public speaking skills.
The DC was originally constituted in February 2016, whereby 5 student members were inducted into the Committee by way of elections through popular vote. The Committee was elected for the purpose of promoting Parliamentary Debating in the University. Through the course of the year, the DC has conducted weekly Parliamentary Debating sessions on Mondays every week. The theme of the debates alternated between Asian and British Parliamentary Debates.
In 2017, the DC was reconstituted by way of elections and interview and the current student members are as follows:
• Raghav Rajeev, 4th Year B.Com. LL.B. (Hons.),
• Chaitanya Tejas,4th Year B.Com. LL.B. (Hons.),
• Trisha Lesley, 4th Year B.A. LL.B. (Hons.),
• S.S.L.V. Prasad, 3rd Year B.A. LL.B. (Hons.),
• Sirat Sapra, 2nd YearB.A. LL.B. (Hons.),
• Nilanjan Kolay, 1st YearB.A. LL.B. (Hons.),
• Bijaharini, 1st Year B.A. LL.B. (Hons.),
• V. Aishwarya, 1st Year B.Com. LL.B. (Hons.)
II. TNNLS – PowerGrid Vigilance Awareness Event, 30th October 2017
Every year, during the Vigilance Awareness Week, PowerGrid regularly conducts several competitions, viz., Essay Writing, Elocution, Slogan etc., for both College as well as School Students. Accordingly, this year PowerGrid has sponsored the prize money for the Vigilance Awareness Event at TNNLS. Elocution and Essay writing competition was conducted. The topic for the Elocution competition was “Role of Legislature and Judiciary in Curbing Corruption in India” and the topic for the Essay Writing competition was “Role Played by the Citizens in Establishing a Corruption Free Society”. The Winners were given Certificates of Recognition and the Consolation Prize Winners were given Consolation Certificates.
III. TNNLS Inter Varsity Parliamentary Debate (IVPD), 09th to 11th February 2018
The Tamil Nadu National Law School in its first edition of the InterVarsity British Parliamentary Debate (TNNLS IVPD) hosted some great individual speeches and competitive debating. The event took place from the 9th of February to the 11th of February 2018 in the TNNLS premises and saw participation from institutions all across the country. After 3 days of intense debating, the team from VIT Vellore emerged as the winners of the grand finale, followed by another VIT team which bagged the runners-up trophy in the tournament. Pawan from MSRIT, Bangalore won the best speaker of the tournament award while Bhavana from Stella Maris, Chennai took home the best adjudicator award. The tournament hosted core adjudicators from Malaysia and other graduates/students from elite Indian institutions. The Hon'ble Vice-Chancellor and the Registrar of TNNLS were the chief guests of the valedictory ceremony. The overall budget of the event was Rs. 3,73, 917/- which includes cash prizes worth Rs. 70,000/-.
IV. Participation in External Competitions
In order to facilitate students to participate in debatecompetitions conducted across the country, regular weekly debate sessions were conducted to train students post regular class hours. These sessions include discussions, simulated training according to format followed by various tournaments. The practice sessions are not mandatory and is done on a voluntary basis.
For the year 2017-18, TNNLS Students participated in the following tournaments:
1) The PES Debate(August 27-29, 2017) conducted by the PESIT University, Bangalore.
2) VITNESS Parliamentary Debate (September 8-10, 2017) conducted by the VIT School of Law, Chennai.
3) Ramiah Inter Varsity Debate (October 27-29, 2017) conducted by the Ramiah School of Law, Bangalore.
4) The NUALS Debate (February 23-25, 2018) conducted by the National University of Advanced Legal Studies (NUALS), Kochi.
5) Xth Christ University Parliamentary Debate (February 24-26. 2018) conducted by the School of Law, Christ deemed to be University, Bangalore.
6) GLC British Parliamentary Debate (March 3-5, 2018) conducted by the Government Law College, Mumbai
7) The NLS Debate (March 29-1 April 2018) conducted by the National Law School of Indian University (NLSIU), Bangalore.
1) A team consisting of Surjeeth Rahulji M (5th year) and Raghav Rajeev (4th year) were declared Winners of 2nd VITNESS Parliamentary Debate held at the School of Law, VIT Chennai.Shasank Sridharan (4th year) and Devadipta Das (2nd year) were also the Finalists of the said Competition. Raghav Rajeev was adjudged 3rd Best Speaker, while Surjeeth Rahulji M, Shasank Sridharanand Devadipta Das finished in the Top 10 Speaker List of the said tournament.
2) A team consisting of Raghav Rajeev (4th year) and Devadipta Das (2nd year) were Semi-Finalist of Ramiah Inter Varisty Debate conducted by the MSR College of Law, Bangalore. Raghav Rajeev was also part of the Top 10 Speaker List of the tournament.
3) A team consisting of Sowmya Srinivasan, Aparjitha Chakravarthy and Harshita Negi (All from the first year) qualified for the Novice Semi-Finals of Xth CU Parliamentary Debate, 2018. Further, a team consisting of Raghav Rajeev, Pradyumna L.N (Both from 4th year)and Surjeeth Rahulji M (5th year) qualified for the Octo Finals.
->>TNNLS Debate Committee Report 2016 – 2017 Read More...
->>TNNLS - PowerGrid Vigilance Awareness Event - News Report Read More...